Tips for a Safe Halloween at King’s Creek
Halloween is almost here, and in Williamsburg, it’s hard not to get in the spirit! Between Busch Gardens’ Howl-O-Scream, pumpkin picking and corn mazes, fall festivals, and premium trick-or-treating, it’s no wonder so many people flock to the Historic Triangle for Halloween!
Here at King’s Creek Plantation, we are so excited for families to arrive in their costumes to enjoy a night that’s equal parts fun and spine-tingling. To make the most of it while staying safe, here are our best Halloween safety tips!
1. Plan your route. It’s recommended that parents accompany all trick-or-treaters under the age of 12. If you have older children, it’s a great idea to sit down with them to go over a safe, familiar, well-lit trick-or-treating route so that you know where they’ll be (and they know you know where they’ll be!). You’ll also have a better idea of when to expect them back, which brings us to number two!
2. Have a curfew. The hours between 5 and 8 p.m. are ideal for trick-or-treaters of all ages. Set a curfew so that everyone is home safe and sound before bedtime.
3. Be visible. Dress kiddos in brightly colored costumes, give them flashlights and attach reflective tape on strategic spots so that motorists can clearly see them as they make their way from house to house!
4. Teach good judgment. Halloween is all about chasing thrills—that are safe! If your kids are old enough to trick or treat alone, make sure they know how to avoid potentially dangerous situations. For example, avoid knocking on doors of houses with the porch lights turned off. Stick to houses and neighborhoods that are well lit!
5. Save candy for the end. This is about good judgment, too! At the end of the night when you’re going through everyone’s loot, remove candy that isn’t in its original wrapper or looks like it’s been opened. To make sure your children aren’t tempted to snack on their candy before you have a chance to inspect it, fill their bags with snacks that they can eat as they go!
At King’s Creek Plantation, we’re all about safety and we’re all about fun! This Halloween, there will be plenty of ways to make amazing memories that your family can share for a lifetime.